Translate

Sunday, April 27, 2008

Lighting Strikes!

After delays for the foundation pour we finally got to see it! We found out that the delay was due to Agave changing electricians. Let’s just say we will let the pictures speak for themselves (with a few comments from the peanut gallery):

This is a picture of the pad from the street. To the left is the car port pad. If you squint your eyes you can see the walkway from the carport pad leading to the house. To the right of that is the front porch with the funky angle. All of the rebar with the orange tags is where the cinder blocks will go.


I took this picture from what will be the Kitchen. I’m looking at the dining room and car port. In the background you can see the drop from street which is going to make drainage interesting. My guess is that there will be a retaining wall to the left and a driveway to the right.

Here is Deborah looking at the oddity that is the stairs down. It's kinda hard to describe. The words pit or oubliette comes to mind. Next time we are out there I'll snap a pic to show you what I mean. The level difference from the front to the rear of the house is about five steps but it looks deeper when you see it.

The depression seen in this picture is of the beginnings of our deck. The Mositureshield decking will start from around here. We are guessing that some of the trees will have to be removed to make room for the deck.

Hopefully you noticed something in all these pics of the foundation. There is little to no aggregate in the foundation. This shocking revelation has us chagrined. Now there is a slim chance that the polishing will reveal some but we just don't know. If none turn up we will most likely go the stain route like others have done at Agave.

2 comments:

a.times.4 (Alana and Alex on Agatha in Agave) said...

Heres, the thing...you know how I despised my foundation with no aggregate? I bought a few hundered bucks worth of soycrete. And the prep materials to prep the 'crete. Soycrete is more durable than regular stain, but is easiest to apply...if you get too much on, you water it down and keep rubbing, if you get not enough on, you add more. It's not permanant for 4 hours so it's fool-proof and enviro friendly. So...after intense learning on how to prep the 'crete, apply, and seal, and even doing a class and video learning...

...I've decided I'm kinda cool with the floor as it is.

You probably will see more aggregate upon polishing, but if not, we can have some wine and apply soycrete to your foundation (if you like "leather brown") for dirt cheap cost perhaps!

I have to unpack before I know for sure how I feel about it...as much of the floor is buried now anway. But so far everyone likes it as-is, so I may be talked out of the staining process.

I go back and forth.

Hang in there though, it may not freak you out as much once you have furniture. I had a mind-snap when I first saw our concrete, as you know.

NetNomad said...

We are going to reserve judgment until it is polished. The other house we saw had so much aggregate that we were hopeful. When I last checked on Wednesday it was not polished. I saw your post about the soycrete on your blog and that what I was thinking when I said “stain”. I could not remember what it was called and stain sound better then “floor coloring whatmacallit”. We are going to check again this weekend. We are the ‘hood stalkers. :) Thanks for the suggestion!